Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:40:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, "W. J. Williams" <will@willardjwilliams.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: five networks

--- Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> W. J. Williams wrote:
> > why isn`t this working:
> >
> > 1. I would like to configure a separate network on five freebsd boxes.
> >
> > 192.168.0
> > 192.168.1
> > 192.168.2
> > 192.168.3
> > 192.168.4
> >

> > 2.  My DSL router has network 192.168.0, I also have one of my fbsd
> boxes
> > in this network (192.168.0.2)
> >
> > 3.  I can add the other machines to the 192.168.0 network, no problem,
> > using default router 192.168.0.1, broadcast 255.255.255.0,
> >
> > 4.  I tried to configure 192.168.2.1 on one box, using
> > gateway_enable="YES", router_enable="YES",
> > defaultrouter=192.168.2.1....doesnt work.
> >
> > what am i doing wrong in getting this box up and running?
>
> You don't understand routing.
> If you ifconfig a box to be 192.168.2.1/24 and then set the default
> router
> to be 192.168.2.1: the machine sends all traffic not destined for
> 192.168.2.0/24 to itself to be routed.  However, it didn't know how
> to route the traffic the first time, thus it isn't going to work the
> second time either.  One good rule to remember is that a default gateway
> should always be a different machine, and one that has _more_ routing
> capability that the one you're configuring.
> If I understand your description correctly, the default gateway should
> be 192.168.0.1 for all these machines.
> I can only assume that you're configuring the system in such a manner
> for experimental purposes, as I can see no reason for such a
> configuration
> in practice.
> You leave netmasks off in your description, but I'm assuming that you're
> using /24 for everything.  This means you'll have to put static routes
> in
> each machine to allow them to get to 192.168.0.1, as they'll have no way
> to automatically reach that machine.  The default router will also need
> routes manually configured in order to be able to communicate back to
> them
> (unless it's running some sort of route discovery program).
>
> If you're not configuring the network like this for experimental
> reasons,
> then you're configuring it very poorly.  A small network like you
> describe should have all the machines on the same subnet: 192.168.0.2,
> 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, etc
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

yes, purely for experimenting...I have a lab of different pc'S and am
LEARNING as much as possible about FreeBSD.  Once I iron out this routing
thing (that I don`t understand as well as most), I will move on to
simulating a VPN between different sites throughout America.  All the
machines are currently in the same network, same subnet 192.168.0

Will

=====
Will Williams