Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 1997 22:18:28 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's wrong with a bootable CDROM???

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Can the CD boot code look at HD partition table(s) and display a prompt
> > if it finds a bootable [BSD] system?  If you specify CD boot at the
> > prompt, ok;  if timeout, boot from HD.
>
> Uh..  I think there is some confusion about how this works. :-)

Well, as some people here might know, i'm working on an alternate
solution that's not _that_ crappy (although it wouldn't apply
immediately to the installation process, this kind of things looks
_exactly_ with what this godd*mned El Torito ``emulation booting'' has
been intended for).  However, one step after the other, right now, i
didn't even consider merging with the regular UFS boot (although i
figure it's not too much of a problem, since there's plenty of space
on the CD, much more than there is in the low 640 KB of the RAM).

So, the initial solution won't have this kind of whistles and bells
either, it will just be able to boot /kernel (or another file) from
your CD-ROM.  The second CD would probably be a good candidate for
this feature then...  If we add MFS to the kernel options for the
kernel that goes there, this makes a self-contained fully operational
FreeBSD.

--
cheers, J"org