Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 2003 11:07:51 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rand() is broken

> As I said, I don't know how big a concern this is.  But last time
> it was enough of a concern to make us keep rand() as it was.

[I know you are talking about rand() but Mark Murray's
earlier email about wanting to re-implement random() really
concerned me so I want to make sure my point gets across]

Not changing random() was of real concern to me when I was
doing chip simulations.  ASIC design verification folks won't
be happy if the rug is pulled out from under them.  In
general crypto and simulation needs are different and I don't
trust the crypto guys to look out for the simulation guys!

I don't care any more if rand() is changed but _please_ leave
random() alone!  And it would be nice to indicate *why* in
the source code for the next time this discussion comes up.

Thanks!

-- bakul