Date:      Mon, 08 Jul 2002 09:35:48 +0900 (JST)
From:      chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp (Nakata Maho)
To:        lancew@psu.edu
Cc:        chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel Fortran Compiler?

Hello, Lance,

> In our case, the availability of the Intel FORTRAN compiler is extremely
> important.  We are building a 20 node (40 processor) computational
> biochemistry cluster and if there is no Intel Fortran compiler available
> then we will have to go with Linux instead of FreeBSD.  When you have
> code that runs for days or even months, 20-30% makes a huge difference
> in wall clock time.
Yes, I know. Such difference is quite important.

> Question for you.  What does the "WARNING: this will lead to a mixed up
> installation if you already use the default linux emulation.." at the
> `make` mean?  Will the installation of this compiler break my other
> Linux ports?
Ah, this description seems to be old. Recently, FreeBSD 4.x-stable
uses RedHat 7.1 based linux_base (aka linux_base-7). So if someone
over installed linux_base-6(former default one) to linux_base-7,
apparently one will get mixed situation. It is no problem now.

I'll change this when some committer handle my port.

Sincierely,
 Nakata Maho