Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 11:28:38 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

At 5:20 PM -0700 2000/5/1, Mike Smith wrote:

>  FWIW, most of the low-end PCI:SCSI RAID controllers claim throughput in
>  the 3-5k IOPs, and 20k is not an uncommon claim for mid-high end
>  controllers.  Simon Shapiro was pushing over 20k on the DPT Century
>  adapters in "real" applications.  I've had a hard time generating more
>  than 3k or so out of a FreeBSD box's I/O subsystem - we cluster so
>  aggressively that I typically run out of I/O bandwidth before I hit an
>  IOP limit.

	I can't speak for the newer controllers, but you guys know where
the pages are that show the results of my previous benchmarks with
the DPT SmartRAID IV.

	I haven't generated and published the summary GIFs, but looking
at the rawio tests that I previously ran which most closely compare
with the ones I've run more recently (i.e., something that relatively
closely simulates what you would see on a news transit server), I
don't see anything over 400 random read iops/sec on the SmartRAID IV,
and that's the peak value (KBps throughput peaks around 18.5KBps and
282 iops/sec for sequential read, but random read never gets over
7.6KBps at 117 iops/sec).