Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:07:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_vx warning

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > > Really?  We have Quake running just fine with the SMC card here (and
> > > WC has frequent 8-player tournaments using their FreeBSD quake server
> > > :-) - what sorts of problems?  Moving from the SMC to the 3COM card
> > > is definitely a step backwards..
> >
> > More specific:  DOS quake using Win95's IPX networking doesn't work on the
> > SMC card.  I haven't tried quake under FreeBSD but I would expect it to
> > work fine.
> >

> Hummm... I guess I'll have to go try Quake on my Novell/Dos/Win95 setup
> as I have been running on DEC DC21x4x boards over there for a long time
> and have not seen any problems what so ever.
>
> Did you upgrade the Win95 to the latest update kit from MS, I know
> Win95 was pretty sick until I did that.  What version is reported in
> your control_panel/System_properties/General window?

I am running the standard Win95 build 950.  I suppose I should upgrade to
the latest OSR2 version but I just don't have the strength to download it
over the corporate network.  Has anyone noticed how badly Lanmanager sucks
over wide area networks?  And they think they have an internet
filesystem...

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761