Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:55:00 +0000
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sftp server with speed throttling

On 21/03/2010 13:53, Dan Naumov wrote:
> What are my options if I want to run an sftp server with speed
> throttling? My understanding is that openssh (which includes sftp) in
> base does not support this directly, so I would have to either use a
> custom kernel with ALTQ (and I would really rather stick to GENERIC so
> I can use freebsd-update) which sounds like a bit too much
> configuration work or pass sftp traffic through PF and throttle it
> (ugly, would also affect ssh traffic).
>
> Are there any sftp servers with directly built-in functionality for
> this? I just would to be able to set limits for upload speed globally
> for the entire server and preferably to also be able to do speed
> settings on a per-user basis.

A quick google indicates there are at least 2 sftp servers with this
functionality,
http://www.proftpd.org/docs/contrib/mod_sftp.html
http://mysecureshell.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

Proftpd with mod_sftp needs the proftp-devel port so I'm guessing its
still in testing but at least its in ports.
No idea about the mysecureshell program, its not in ports.

I havent actually tried with of these so no idea how well they work,
good luck.

Vince