Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 18:38:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        Elonzo Taylor <et-9851@home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A @home problem

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

# @Home's DHCP server only works if it can verify that your NETBIOS name is
# your account name, like mine is cx440370-a.  If my netbios name wasn't
# cx443070-a on my windows box, I wouldn't be able to use DHCP (I'd have to
# put the information in manually).  Since FreeBSD doesn't have NETBIOS names
# built into it, I don't believe you can use DHCP with @Home with FreeBSD.

Yes you can.  You just have to know the secret incantation. :)
I have successfully run DHCP with an @Home account on FreeBSD
by putting the following in /etc/dhclient.conf.

	interface "dc0" {
	    send host-name "xx123456-a";
	}

Of course you'll need to use the correct device name for the
card you have connected to the cable modem and change the
host-name to your real NETBIOS name.  Other than that you
setup DHCP just like you normally would.

HTH.

-steve

# Instead just enter your information manually in /stand/sysinstall.  If you
# need certain information you don't have, here's some help:
#
# Your gateway would be your IP address, except the last number (octet) would
# be 1.
# An @Home DNS server is 24.5.247.17