Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 20:44:17 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christopher Kelley <bsd@kelleycows.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: libtool note in UPDATING

On Feb 27, 2006, at 14:06 , Christopher Kelley wrote:
> Is there a more straightforward explanation of how to upgrade ports
> with the new libtool?

That *is* the straightforward way of explaining it :)

libtool is one of a handful of ports that is used so extensively by
the rest of the tree that providing a one-click method that's going
to work in every situation is an exercise in futility.  Around 1400
ports were directly affected by the change, with several hundred more
having varying degrees of collateral damage (which, as far as I know,
has all been fixed as of the time of writing).  That's greater than
10% of the tree as a whole.

Judicious use of portupgrade and its ilk may certainly work in your
case, but there are absolutely no guarantees that something,
somewhere, in the rebuild will go wrong, and result in a rather
messed up set of packages on the system.

If you want to be absolutely, positively sure, I'm afraid there is
only one simple solution, involving the archival of any configuration
files that may have been changed locally, followed by saving off a
list of the ports/packages installed on the system, then "rm -rf /var/
db/pkg/* /usr/local /usr/X11R6 /usr/compat/*" and building everything
from scratch.  I tested both this method, and the portupgrade method,
on two identically configured scratch boxes with a few hundred ports
installed on both, and the sledgehammer approach was in fact
considerably faster.

> Also, will 6.1-RELEASE have this change already in the ports tree
> that it ships with?

Yes.  This also offers a third solution.  Wait until 6.1-RELEASE
comes out, along with its associated package sets, and do a clean
install from there.  Ditto for 5.5-RELEASE if there is some reason to
keep a machine on the 5.x branch as opposed to jumping to 6.x

-aDe