Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 07:54:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        media@mail1.nai.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More than 64M RAM??

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000 media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

% Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:22:37 -0400
% From: media@mail1.nai.net
% To: freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
% Subject: More than 64M RAM??
%
% I am running FreeBSD 3.4 on a 133 Pentium.
%
% I remember reading something that FreeBSD can only access 64M of RAM??  Is
% that true??  Does having more than 64M hurt??  Unfortunately I cannot check
% my FreeBSD documentation at the moment because the hardware is currently
% disassembled.
%
% THANX!!
%

This was taken from the faq.

Due to the manner in which FreeBSD gets the memory size from the BIOS, it
can only detect 16 bits worth of Kbytes in size (65535 Kbytes = 64MB) (or
less... some BIOSes peg the memory size to 16M). If you have more than
64MB, FreeBSD will attempt to detect it; however, the attempt may fail.

To work around this problem, you need to use the kernel option specified
below. There is a way to get complete memory information from the BIOS,
but we don't have room in the bootblocks to do it. Someday when lack of
room in the bootblocks is fixed, we'll use the extended BIOS functions to
get the full memory information...but for now we're stuck with the kernel
option.

options "MAXMEM=n"

Where n is your memory in Kilobytes. For a 128 MB machine, you'd want to
use 131072.

  William  J. Melanson        CyberGate, Inc. | e.spire Communications
  Sr Network Controller       www.gate.net ---- www.espire.net
  Network Operations Center   Phone: (954) 334-8080
  finger wjm@gate.net         PGP public key