Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 18:21:10 +0930
From:      Michael Ritchie <michaeljritchie@bigpond.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading to 4.7-RELEASE

I am currently working on two FreeBSD 4.6.2 servers, and wish to upgrade to
4.7-RELEASE.  I have tried to find information about performing this task,
but am having trouble trying to grasp exactly what each
distribution  "type" of FreeBSD means.  -STABLE can be upgraded to using
the (well documented) cvsup, make buildworld, mergemaster etc process, as
can -CURRENT, but it would seem to me that -RELEASE is given out only as
ISO images, as far as I can see.  Is it possible to upgrade a 4.6.2 FreeBSD
box to 4.7-RELEASE using the cvsup/make buildworld procedure, or am I
better off downloading the mini-ISO or floppy disk images and running a
Sysinstall upgrade from there?  Is what I am wanting to do a waste of time
(ie. should I just go straight to 4.7-STABLE? -- please don't ask "why
upgrade to 4.7-RELEASE ... I just want to know how to do it, should I some
day need it)

Regards,
Michael Ritchie

ps. apologies if it looks like my '-stable, -release and -current's look
like i'm yelling -- copied them off the fbsd ftp site.