Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:03:30 -0800
From:      "Paul M . Lambert" <plambert@plambert.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Forwarding a mail file

On Fri, 02 Mar 2001, Riley J. McIntire wrote:

> Another suggested uuencode too.  Which I'd prefer to installing
> procmail/formail, at least to learn how to use it.  Also, this system is
> strictly a mail server on which I don't like to haphazardly install programs
> I'm unfamiliar with.  At least those that don't come with the system.  :-)
>
> I tried this by analogy with man uuencode's example (uuencode src_tree.tar.Z
> | mail sys1!sys2!user)
>
> uuencode /var/mail/test	|mail -s test user@domain.com
>
> Which didn't work.  I'm quite ignorant about /usr/bin/mail and have never
> used uuencode, and haven't found reference yet to the sys1!sys2!user syntax
> or its interpretation.

The uuencode solution suggested by another results in a single very
large attachment containing the whole mailspool being sent in one or more
messages.  I'm assuming that this isn't your intention.

If you want the user to receive these messages at their new ISP as if
they were just sent to them, the formail solution mentioned is the
most elegant.  You do not need to do a 'make install' of the procmail
port; look in the work directory after just doing a 'make' and you'll find
the appropriate binary.

If you have any MUAs installed on the system (i.e. mutt, pine, etc.) you
might be able to do a similar thing from within them.  I'm not familiar
with anything but mutt, in which I'd do:

% mutt -R -f /path/to/mailspool

Once the mailbox comes up, I'd type a capital T (assuming the default
keybindings) which gives a Tag messages matching: prompt.  At the prompt
I'd enter just a period (which tags all messasges).

Then I'd press the semicolon (to make the next command apply to all tagged
messages) followed by a lowercase 'b'.  This then shows a Bounce message
to: prompt, at which i'd type the new email address.  Then, I'd wait
for quite a while as sendmail is spanked with a zillion new messages all
at once.  ;-)

However, like any task, there are many ways to do it.  You'll have to
choose what you're most comfortable with.  In my case, I'd use formail
from the procmail port.

--plambert