Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:18:06 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@server1.wallnet.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERC 3 Dell 2500 and FreeBSD 4.3 stable

> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:58:41 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Tim Kellers <timothyk@server1.wallnet.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> Has anyone gotten the PERC 3 RAID controller to work using FreeBSD 4.3?
>
> It looks like I might have to build a boot disk (a la kern.flp) with a
> precompiled kernel with the appropriate PERC 2/3 OPTIONS.
>
> I haven't done this before and was wondering if there is any documentation
> for building a custom boot floppy?

Tim,

The standard boot floppies should handle the PERC, but at least 4.3
floppies are needed as most of the RAID stuff came after 4.2 was
released.

Also you need to go in at boot time and set up the containers before
ANY OS can deal with them. I believe you need to type CTRL-A at the
correct time during the boot to get to the config utility.

The model PERC 3 is really not adequate to identify the card and PERC
is the name DELL sticks on all of it's RAID controllers, regardless of
who made them or whether they are integrated onto the mobo or
external.

I run Dell PowerEdge servers with PERC3/Si RAID controllers running as
RAID 1.

If you have the complete model number, it's possible to tell who made
it and which driver should be used. Should be either ami or aac. (The
former for American Megatrends and the latter for Adaptec.)

Here is a summary of PERC hardware from Mike Smith who did most (all)
of the driver work for them:
The PERC, PERC 2/SC, PERC 2/DC and PERC 3/D* are AMI designs.

The PERC 2/Si, PERC 2/Di, PERC 3/Si and PERC 2/QC are Adaptec designs.

"PERC" means "this is a Dell-branded RAID controller".
"2" and "3" refer to 40MHz vs 80MHz SCSI support.
"S" "D" and "Q" are single, dual and quad channel designations.
"i" means it's integrated onto the server motherboard.
"C" means it's an addin card.
"L" means it's the low-cost version.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)