Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 00:00:44 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "David A. Koran" <dak@solo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig aliases

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 03:51:04PM -0500, David A. Koran wrote:
> Did somebody make a change to the syntax of how the ifconfig aliases
> (eg. "ifconfig_fxp0_alias1="inet some.ip.addr.ess netmask
> some.net.mask.num") work?

As far as I knew, if an IP alias is in the same network as a previous
IP address which the machine has then the netmask must be given as
255.255.255.255. This is to prevent the creation of a duplicate
route to the network. This has always been the advice given on the
mailing lists, I think.

Can you point me to some docs which say otherwise? If so they
probably need to be updated.

	David.