Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 2020 23:52:52 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: copyright notice question

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:=0A=
rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>> wrote:=0A=
>>Warner Losh wrote:=0A=
>>>On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 7:25 PM Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca<mailto:=
rmacklem@uoguelph.ca><mailto:rmacklem@uoguelph.ca<mailto:rmacklem@uoguelph.=
ca>>> wrote:=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>Likely. If you changed a substantial amount, then yes. The rule of thumb=
 is >50%=0A=
>>> is no brainer yes. Smaller percentages require more nuanced judgement a=
s to whether the changes are substantial enough to create a new work. Chanc=
es are=0A=
>>> quite good you fall into one of those categories. Also, if you have rep=
laced more=0A=
>>>than ~90% chances are good no original work remains. Again, a judgement =
call.=0A=
>>>There are more technical legal guidelines, but that would require a lawy=
er.=0A=
>>>=0A=
>>>My hunch is that unless this is something far more trivial than I then I=
'd add the=0A=
>>> notice, but retaining the old.=0A=
>>Well, I'd guess it's somewhere in the 50->90% category.=0A=
>>Would just adding a comment below the current copyright notice like:=0A=
>>/*=0A=
>> * Extensively modified from /usr/src/usr.sbin/gssd.c for RPC-over-TLS=0A=
>> * by Rick Macklem.=0A=
>> */=0A=
>>be sufficient for the project, or should I put a second copyright notice=
=0A=
>>on it with my name on it? (This will seem odd, since it will have the sam=
e=0A=
>>terms as the extant one, but if that is what is appropriate for the proje=
ct..)=0A=
>>=0A=
>>It is my understanding (I'm obviously not a lawyer, clearly indicated by =
the=0A=
>>size of my bank account;-) that a copyright notice can only be changed by=
=0A=
>>the holder (or with their express permission), but an additional copyrigh=
t=0A=
>>notice can be attached to the work to cover the re-write.=0A=
>>Is this correct? (All amateur lawyers, feel free to respond;-)=0A=
>>=0A=
>>Thanks for your comments, rick=0A=
>>=0A=
>>>Warnet=0A=
>>=0A=
[copyright comment snipped]=0A=
>My opinion is as follows :=0A=
>=0A=
>At the top of the related sources I would include a message ( approximatel=
y ) as >follows :=0A=
I believe for FreeBSD this would need to be after the main copyright notice=
,=0A=
but that is trivial, I think?=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
>After svn ( or git ) modification number(s)  ... ( including )  I have mad=
e substantial ( or significant ) modifications ( or improvements ) .=0A=
>The copyright of these modifications with the present license listed below=
 are >belong to=0A=
>=0A=
>Rick Macklem , starting from date .....=0A=
> (  Rick Macklem  ... an approximately fixed address ... )=0A=
Does anyone know if there are examples of this in other major open=0A=
source projects?=0A=
=0A=
I would be very shy of creating a notice that is not exactly what other=0A=
FreeBSD files have in them. For one thing, is referring to license terms in=
 another=0A=
copyright notice "standard practice"?=0A=
=0A=
I'll admit that, unless there are examples of this elsewhere in the FreeBSD=
=0A=
source tree (or at least in other major open source projects), I would not =
be=0A=
comfortable doing this.=0A=
=0A=
Maybe I'll try asking this question...=0A=
Is there a concern that the copyright notice that is on gssd.c could be con=
sidered=0A=
"not valid" due to the extensive changes made to the code by me?=0A=
(If the answer to that is "no", then I don't see that anything needs to be =
done,=0A=
 since the notice includes reasonable terms as already used elsewhere in Fr=
eeBSD.=0A=
 I have no interest in being a copyright holder for this unless the copyrig=
ht can=0A=
 be invalidated.)=0A=
Put another way, "Is there a concern that the extensive changes would allow=
 the=0A=
copyright notice be replaced by something like a GPL ?".=0A=
=0A=
rick, who would rather just lease the notice alone=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
Each contributor may append such notifications listed on the topmost part .=
=0A=
When a person reads such sources , she/he very easily understands its modif=
ication and copyright status without any doubt .=0A=
=0A=
=0A=
Mehmet Erol Sanliturk=0A=
=0A=