Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:41:13 -0500
From:      "Franklin P. Myers" <frmyers@vt.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Can FreeBSD be installed on a slave drive?

Hi folks,

I still have not resolved this problem despite numerous hours at the
website.

I installed FreeBSD off my Walnut Creek CDROM onto my second (slaved)
physical hard drive into a 2G partition of a 6G hard drive. I then installed
Windows NT 4.0 into the rest of the second drive. The first drive (4G
master) is all Windows 95. Both drives are connected to the same IDE
controller.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get FreeBSD's boot manager to come up. The
only way I can boot FreeBSD is using the boot floppy and the command:
1:wd(1,a)kernel.

I have tried using BOOTINST.EXE (as per FAQ 2.9,
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ33.html#33) in the /TOOLS directory. Every
time I run it, I get the following error messages:
Cannot write to file bootsav.bin
Cannot write to file boot2sav.bin
Running the install program from floppy, CDROM, and FreeBSD are all
ineffectual.

I attempted to use Windows NT's "OS Loader" to handle the task (as per FAQ
8.7, http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ122.html#122), but I get a "Not a
bootable partition" error.

Thanks for any help,
Frank Myers