Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:48:47 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP Dial-In  ...

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
>         So far, I can find any docs on how to setup my FreeBSD machine to
> let someone PPP into it ... can someone point me at some sort of docs on
> it?

You want to use the use-land PPP. How to do it is
explained on the man page.

They way I accomplished it that worked for M$ boxes to
dial in to my comapany's LAN is to set up the
"pp" string in gettytab to point to a script that
runs "ppp -direct server", with the "server:" section
of /etc/ppp/ppp.conf setting up the PPP connection
parameters. This is all on the man page. The only thing
I found was that enabling CHAP doesn't work, you use
PAP only. You also need to set up "ppp.secrets" with
user names and passwords. Let the getty set the speed
and do the login: and password: stuff. The "pp" string
gets fired upon detection of an HDLC frame by the getty.

Hope this helps.
--
Jim Durham