Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 17:24:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        ejs@bfd.com (Eric J. Schwertfeger)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Optical Jukebox support in FreeBSD

Eric J. Schwertfeger writes:

> How capable is FreeBSD of supporting 2 terrabytes worth of CD jukeboxes?

No more than any other operating system, I would think.

> I can't see buying several million in hard drives, but a CD jukebox may be
> affordable, and this information shouldn't be updated too often.
>
> O.K., I admit that even if it does work, the numbers will be so staggering
> that my boss will turn all sorts of colors, and the project will get
> killed or redesigned, but I at least want to have the numbers available.

OK, let's look at the numbers first.  Assuming you have every CD-ROM
full to the gunwhales with data (666 MB), you'll need 15,000 CD-ROMs.
The biggest junk box I know holds 7 CD-ROMs, so you'd need a good 2000
drives.  At 7 drives per host adaptor, you'd need the best part of 300
host adaptors (why does this remind me of St Ive's?)  There's no way
you can address that number of SCSI devices on a PC.

Of course, if you can find a *real* juke box, like an overgrown
version of the real juke boxes they had in the 50's, and you can put
1000 disks in one device, you should be able to do it with two host
adaptors.  But I don't know of any such device.

Greg