Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:21:16 +0000
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Tiago Felipe <lists@connectionlost.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dropped due to the socket

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 09:31:04AM -0200, Tiago Felipe wrote:
> Maybe, but do not believe it, because when you turn it on, the counter

Turn what on, exactly?

> "dropped due to the socket" has gradually increased, this machine acts

Please provide the exact output from the "netstat -s -s" command that
you are talking about.  There is no such statistic
"dropped due to the socket".

> as pppoe concentrator, mpd5 and netgraph ..
> I have clients with public IP and nat44.
>
> I'm doing tests yet, but I've read a lot about and looked for similar
> problems, could not come to a conclusion ...

If you are referring to "dropped due to no socket" it means that
a UDP packet arrived for a port that had no socket listening on it.

If you are referring to another statistic please provide the *exact*
statistic

If you want to see what UDP requests are being dropped due to no
socket then run this as root:

sysctl net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

it may produce a LOT of logs, so to turn it off again to:

sysctl net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=0

The log_in_vain output should go to the console and anywhere in syslog
you have configured to receive kern.info syslog events.

If you have an idle system where the counter is not incrementing
and it is passing no traffic (a VM with no network would be ideal)
you can test the behaviour of the "dropped due to no socket" statistic
yourself.

Run:

netstat -s -s | grep 'dropped due to no socket'
traceroute localhost
netstat -s -s | grep 'dropped due to no socket'

The 'dropped due to no socket' count should go up by 3, for the 3
traceroute packets that tried to connect to a port that had no listening
socket.  You can use the net.inet.udp.log_in_vain sysctl to see the 3
traceroute packets during the test if you are interested.

If you aren't running any firewalls, then as Steve mentioned the most
likely reason is people scanning your box looking for vulnerabilities.
e.g. I see people try to hit the SIP port (UDP 5060) every day on IPs
that don't run any SIP services.  It's also possible that some
customer equipment is hitting ports on your PPPOE termination boxes
as the box is the "other end" of the PPPOE session and the customer
equipment is trying to use that "other end" for services, e.g. DNS, NTP
or similar, even if your PPP session points them elsewhere for those
services

Regards,

Gary