Date:      Sat, 06 Feb 1999 14:45:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Subject:   Re: Is there a reseller program? - gone into overdrive

On 06-Feb-99 My Secret Spies Reported That Mason Loring Bliss  wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 07:58:31AM -0800, Don Wilde wrote:
>
>> sure, but we need to attract those who have discovered that NT doesn't
>> work!
>
> Definitely. :)
>
>> We need to uproot people from every other field out there!
>
> I think a very valuable thing would be to convert Solaris people, and IT
> managers who deal with Solaris. If we had an effective plan of attach there,
> we'd be in good shape. Solaris occupies the role we want, which is to say
> meaty, centralized operations. I see NT as being more of a threat on the
> desktop side, where our image isn't very strong. GNU/Linux is seemingly
> focussed on that end, however, and I'd rather let them keep their converts
> so as to better focus on the server market.

<Clogged head cold medication induced rant on>

 There is one thing I would like to see FreeBSD incorperate is the solaris
style patches. Linux has been known as the kernel de'jour as FreeBSD as stable
and robust, but still needing a bit more work when a security upgrade is needed
,or some new feature added.
 Solaris patches are cool becouse all one has to do is download the
patch and run it, then reboot. No make world, no compiling. Managers and
stressed out admins love this. It's not the best idea, and I believe that we
would in most cases still need to rebuild the kernel, but a simple popup that
says, "hi what kernel name do you want to rebuild" would be a simple cure.

I would also love to see FreeBSD offer several precompiled kernel options. Sort
of a Low, med, high. Not only would this provide better examples of what can be
done to those starting out, but it will help in situations like the magazine
that tested us against other OS's with our GENERIC kernel.

 </Clogged head cold mediacation indused rant off>

Nicole

          nicole@nmhtech.com | http://www.webweaver.net/
webmistress@dangermouse.org  | http://www.dangermouse.org