Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:27:46 -0500
From:      "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@nwu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inetd question

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 03:04:37PM -0500, Grandpa Walrus wrote:
> Many services on BSD systems can be run as either standalone, or from
> inetd.  Is there a benefit to one way or the other?  Are there limitations
> of either method?
---end quoted text---

I'm no expert, but here's an example: sendmail.

Under normal circumstances, this is run in daemon mode, but could very well,
I assume, run through a call by inetd. But for heavy sendmail use, it makes
more sense to run it in daemon mode. Otherwise, for every time sendmail
needs to run, inetd will have to call sendmail.

Seems more like an issue of overhead here.
--
David Kanter
djkanter@nwu.edu