Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 2015 16:20:23 -0700
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r284345 - in head: . bin/cat bin/chflags bin/chio bin/chmod bin/cp bin/csh bin/date bin/dd bin/df bin/domainname bin/echo bin/ed bin/expr bin/freebsd-version bin/getfacl bin/hostname bi...

Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> Do you have a list of steps that can be used to test META_MODE mode in
> FreeBSD-CURRENT?

Good question... probably somewhere=20

> Would these steps work:

close=20

> (1)=A0 Put in /boot/loader.conf
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 filemon_load=3D"YES"
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 and reboot.

No need to reboot, you can simply kldload it.

> (2)=A0 Put in /etc/make.conf
>=20
> =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 WITH_META_MODE=3Dyes

Sure

> (3)=A0 Do this:
>=20
> cd /usr/src/targets/pseudo/universe
> make

You do not need to cd anywhere, just 'make universe' would do
when META_MODE is true src/Makefile includes targets/Makefile to do its
thing.=20

Of course 'universe' is no where near ready to do what you would expect ;-)
We have our own tree of targets that build the packages we need.
There's not a lot of overlap with the traditional build/install model.

For the purpose of testing 'userland' might be more practical.

Also unless you already have external toolchains built (we include a
toolchain.mk from local.sys.mk), you will likely
need to

env MACHINE=3Dhost make bootstrap-tools

which shamelessly leverages src/Makefile* to build the toolchains

If it works - currently looks to be broken some of the tools need latest
libelf, libdarf etc but when building for host one generally wants to
use the host toolchain.

Will see if I can get it building again ...