Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:13:15 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Dumb "Raw mode" CD copying question...

On 3/15/01, 9:01:03 AM, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com> wrote=

regarding RE: Dumb "Raw mode" CD copying question...:

<snip>

>   When you then take and write all of these wav files
> back onto a CD with an ordinary CD burner, you end up
> with a multisession audio CD.

Thanks for answering.

My CD-burner is a ``<YAMAHA CRW4416S 1.0f> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2
device''.

BTW, cdrao enables me to copy all the tracks of an audio CD in a shot. I=

have looked at the existing software in the ports; I seem to find out al=
kinds of manipulation programs ("rippers", "converters", etc.)

From a practical standpoint, these are the most used/useful/sought-for
applications nowadays in the .mp3 era :-) Yet I am missing how to (simpl=
(?)) make a raw CD copy -- ie, as it were, how to copy =E0 la [s]dd(1).

>   What I think your looking for is the ability to take
> the entire CD into a file and burn it back down to a
> CD drive in one shot.  From reading the documentation
> with my own (older) burner, I think the only way to do it
> under FreeBSD is to run a SCSI burner that has Disk At Once
> capability.  (DAO)  The newer SCSI burners all seem to support
> this.  Most older onces don't.

I was wondering what could be the proper way to ignore any
filesystem/track structure, ie what was the right way to "generalize" th=
[s]dd(1) approach to audio CDs -- AFAIR, CloneCD, a LoseBlows program, i=
able to perform a similar kind of operation.

N.B. mkisofs and cdrecord have been working for me in a far
superior/stable way than any existing LoseBlows piece of software,
AFAIK/AFAICT. Except for this apparent limitation.

What am I missing?

Best regards,
Salvo