Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:39:26 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  VIC + PAL

> From: Seppo Kallio <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
> To: multimedia@freebsd.org
> Subject: VIC + PAL
>
> I cannot get VIC to select PAL mode. Man vic has text
>
>        Adjacent to the quality slider are two pull-down menu but-
>        tons.   The ``Port'' button selects among the analog input
>        jacks to the capture device (for example, a  VideoPix  has
>        two  composite inputs and an S-Video input).  The ``Type''
>        button selects the analog video types,  which  is  one  of
>        auto,  NTSC, PAL, or SECAM.  The ``auto'' setting attempts
>        to determine the signal type from the actual  input  (pro-
>        vided the hardware supports this).

For some reason this is disabled in the code.  It is actually
the ``signal'' button just below the port button.

> Yes, there is Port button (Matrox/Spigot). I cannot see a Type button. I am
> 88.8% sure vic is using NTSC capture not PAL form MatroxMeteor.
> The Size popup in the video window does not change the mode. I cannot find
> any button/popup/option to force vic to PAL mode.
>
> Using vic binary from Jims ftp address, that is vic-2.7a36, should I try
> to recompile it?
>
> Tryed ... Jim, you sould use relatice path names ;-) ... Where is -lspigot?

I just typed ./configure :-).  The spigot library is available from
ftp://ftp.cs.uwm.edu/pub/FreeBSD/spigot/spigot.tar.gz or from ports
collection.

I am not sure why the type is disabled in vic.  I suppose there is
a reason.  You could ask the author about why.  The default for
for the meteor to come up in ``auto'' mode which should auto detect
pal or ntsc input -- but since I don't have a PAL device here I
can't really test what is going on with vic and pal.

Can someone with a PAL input device confirm that vic works with
that type of device?  Are there any problems?

Thanks,

	-Jim