Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2014 18:35:23 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is really great.. BUT..

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 10:26:20 -0700, dteske@FreeBSD.org wrote:
> I too must be doing something wrong. Been using FreeBSD as a desktop for
> work, play, fun, since 4.8. Using it as a Desktop right now with FreeBSD 10.

Ah, play, I forgot to mention that I also use my desktop
for gaming, egoshooters primarily, even from foreign
platforms which have stopped being able to run those
games. :-)

> NOTE: I use "xsm" as a tool for choosing which window manager I want to run
> during login and I use "xdm" as a login screen.

You could use wdm to combine those; wdm is the "WindowMaker
Display Manager", it looks like xdm, or more specific, a bit
like the Solaris display manager, where you enter your login
information _and_ can select which window manager (or desktop
environment) to launch for the current session.

There is a less elegant solution with xdm: instead of
entering your session with pressing ENTER after entering
the password, press PF1 for "failsafe". Make sure your
~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession launches one controlling terminal
(e. g. "exec xterm") from which you can then start the
window manager you want to try. Done testing? Exit the
window manager. I won't log you out - this is done by
entering "exit" in the controlling terminal.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany