Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:45:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        garman@earthling.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Brian Feldman wrote:

> Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/wd0s1b    102400    12300    89972    12%    Interleaved
> /dev/wd1s1b    102400    12408    89864    12%    Interleaved
> Total          204544    24708   179836    12%
>  This is normal usage after
> swap_pager: suggest more swap space: 157 MB
> swap_pager: out of swap space
> pid 5795 (memory), uid 1000, was killed: out of swap space

I don't think this illustrates bug we are trying to smoke out
though. This is showing the "memory" process as being killed,
presumably because it went overboard on memory consumption.

The dying daemon bug seems to manifists itself in the death of
innocent bystander processes and usually by a signal 11, not by
"out of swap space".  Note these two observations: