Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 2015 13:26:21 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        pgsql@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare

--Wb5NtZlyOqqy58h0

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 01:15:27PM +0200, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> >
> > That is where your proposal will not work for us that have massive
> > production infrastructure...without modification... sounds very debiani=
sh.

> > Here's my thought which follows yours mostly (maybe the same, but not
> > the way I read yours.)
> >
> > All postgres* go under /usr/local/postgresql<major><minor>
> > rc scripts are always version specific (ie
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql becomes /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql84,
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql93 etc)
> > rc.conf stuff becomes version specific (ie postgresql_enable=3D"YES"
> > becomes postgresql84_enable=3D"YES" etc)
> > All ports then can be linked to default versions, the default can be in
> > Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk, and as it is in /etc/make.conf
> > All pkg tools then have a dependency to which ever is currently set in
> > the package and if the required lib is not installed you can install it
> > without a conflict to what is already on the systems...
> > All client binaries and tools can have symlinks in /usr/local/bin as
> > necessary with the major/minor suffix, and the "default versions" of the
> > *clients and tools* can be symlinked without a major/minor version.
> >  =20
>=20
> Slight addition...
>=20
> metaport's for 'postgresql-server' and 'postgresql-client' seem to be
> the ideal addition to this (forget the symlinking and pkgconfig - the
> metaport would take care of that ideally)
>=20

I do not see the point of having metaport here?

We in the end have one single postgresql-client (always latest version)
and multiple postgresql*-server which will bundle the client tools they go =
with
and the symlinks

so postgresql-client will have
/usr/local/bin/psql
and postgresql94-server
will have:
/usr/local/bin/psql94 -> /usr/local/postgresql94/bin/psql

For example.

Where would the metaport give something more?

Best regards,
Bapt

--Wb5NtZlyOqqy58h0

--Wb5NtZlyOqqy58h0--