Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:51:23 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, smp@csn.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: power-off without halt

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> Don't ATX power supplies have some sort of soft power-off capability?
> How about tying a "power" button on the front panel of this device to a
> switch that would tell the machine to halt itself and then power off?
>
> It looks like the pieces are there.  What you want, I suppose, is a
> motherboard that can intercept the power switch signal, generate an
> interrupt, and then wait for some feedback from the OS before sending the
> signal on to shut down the power.

They do... Both my boxes here do it while running Win'95/98... If you want to
switch them off instantly, no questions asked - you have to hold the on/off
button for 4 seconds. If you just tap the same button Win'95/98 shuts down,
then switches the machine off...

Quite handy I guess :-) (Except more often than not the reason for wanting to
switch off the machine is that Win'9X has crashed, beyond seeing the switch
being thrown :-) (In which case a 4 second extended press kills it dead... :-)

-Karl