Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:53:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

> ><soapbox>
> >I'm still trying to understand why people think they have to run NT.
> >There are other options, like FreeBSD and OS/2.  A lot cheaper and not
> >made by Microsoft.
> ></soapbox>

> Intel, MIPS, DEC Alpha and PowerPC architectures.  It is a lot easier
> to administer than a Unix box.  It is more secure than OS/2 (certified

Bull%*&t!  [I used to administer an NT and Unix network]  Individual
workstations are, but it doesn't scale well for administration.  For one,
you cannot administer as much of NT remotely as you can Unix.  An
administer cannot assume anyone's identity.  So every time a user has a
configuration problem you have to make an appointment with the user to
come to their office, sit down with them, watch them login and then have
them step aside so you can investigate the problem -- a big waste of
time!  With Unix, I get an email that someone has an environment problem.
I simply cd to their home dir and look at their dot files.  Or ``su'' to
them if nessicary.  Shoot, even for users to change the resolution on
their screen, they had to come to me -- a normal user can't do this.

Also, you can ``su'' to root.  So I was either logging out tons of times
a day to then login as administrator, or I have myself administrator
privs.  Thus I was logged in as "root" all the time.  Not a Good Thing.

Also, by default administrators doesn't have priv. in people's home dirs,
or have write priv. for applications installed by others.  Need to do a
little ``du'' action to find the disk hogs?  Can't.  Simply do a "chmod
-R administrator+rwx /" you think.  Nope, not unless you know about the
secret ``cacls'' command line program (which took me 4 months to find).
The "official" way to change file/dir permissions is filemanager.
Filemanager only has the = or octal syntax of chmod.  Thus no modify the
current perms, only straight assignment.  Thus you have to go into
hundreds of dirs to give the administrator even read privs.

This comes to my next point.  The admin tools that come with NT stink!
The event view has the WORST user interface I've seen.  Worse than the
typical HTML home page where you have to follow tons of links to get to
any content and to the next non-content free page.  NT's event viewer
uses only 20% of the available screen to show you /var/log/messages
entries (one at a time).  Takes for ever to read the event log.

-- David    (obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu)