Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 2000 00:48:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bob Collins <pineypl@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SB16 and no sound (sorry 'bout 'nother snd question)

Bob Collins wrote:

> I'll start with an apolgy for asking about sound and the SB 16 card
> (ISA). I have searched the archives and found nothing that has helped me
> get sound from this PIA card. BTW, it is a true ISA SB 16 card.
>
> I am running 4.0 release with a custom kernel. In the kernel I have:
> [snip]
> # Trying pcm driver for sound
> device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> device pcm0 at isa? port? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> [snip]
>
> First question is; do I need both in the kernel?

Yes.  I actually have just "device pcm" instead of all the extra stuff
on that line, but the same sbc line as you.

> These tell me the card is found and available, however I cannot get any
> sound from the cdrom (which is configured in the kscd properly). I have
> also tried the media player under kde and it too does not produce sound.

Odd.  Have you checked the obvious things, like not having the volume
turned up? :-) (i.e. What does "mixer" show?)  I assume if you've
searched the archives you'll have tried this though. :-(

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /