Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 07:22:42 -0500
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
Subject:   Re: Best mount options, tunefs for newsserver

In article <199611100822.AAA18791@MindBender.serv.net>, michaelv wrote:
 :
 : >Trying to tweak the newsserver here.  I have the slices that are
 : >hammered all mounted async (are they really working async?  is there a
 : >way to tell?).  Any other useful mount options for a local fs?
 :
 : I think so.  I run my NetBSD box this way, and it's pretty obvious
 : sometimes that it's async.  For example, copy a big directory of lots
 : of files (like /usr/src/) to somewhere, sync it and let it settle,
 : then rm -rf it.  It should finish really quickly, then a burst of disk
 : activity when sync time comes.

Hmmm this is very interesting.  I did see a delay until sync time came
but what's really interesting is the huge amount of disk access that
took place asynchronously.

The time difference between rm -r'ing /usr/src/sys (copied somewhere
else :) ) on a sync vs async mounted filesystem was not discernable.
Each rm -r run took about 10 seconds; the async run included a little
burst of flushing activity about 2 seconds after the shell prompt
returned.

I think there should be an adequate amount of cache available on a
32mb system with only myself as the user.  nb., I have a half dozen
xterms running rlogin open but that's about it, and I don't know how
to interpret vmstat's output to see what's going on.

Any suggestions on a definitive way to find out the extent of caching
going on?  Is the fact that the slice I tested on is marked NFS
exported (but not being actively exported) a factor here?
Should I be asking this on the fs mailing list?

--
Howard Goldstein   <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
(please note reply-to if you reply directly lest