Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:38:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@thoroweb.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wierd happenings with "shared" IDE drives...

This weekend, I finally re-installed BSD on my home system.The
boot drive is a 1.6g EIDE drive. I also have an adaptec 2920
with two FAT32 drives, and one drive I will set up for BSD.
The main drive is partitioned 500mb FAT16, ~1.1g BSD. In that
partition, I have /, /var, /usr, and swap. During the course
of a normal reboot, I came up with "automatic filesystem check
failed-HELP!", and what caused it is that /dev/wd0s2(b|e|f) had
disappeared. /dev/rwd... are all there, so I could fsck to my
heart's content, but couldn't remake the devices, because MAKEDEV
would return "chown: not found" and exit. I will put together a
floppy today that should fix this, but my concern is this is the
nth time this has happened to me, and all with "shared" ide
drives. I've searched the lists, and can't find anything about
this, nor in any of the docs I perused. I use DOS fdisk, do _not_
enable "support for large volumes" or whatever the option is for
FAT32 fs, and as a quirk from watching Macs blow up daily at FWB,
always low-level format any drive before repartitioning.
Does anyone have any advice as to how to stop this, or is this
something that only I am seeing?

BTW: this has happened with BSD:
2.1.5, 2.2, 2.2.2, 2.2.5, and 3.0(various) on three machines.
---
E-Mail: Joshua Fielden <shaggy@thoroweb.com>