Date:      Fri, 3 Mar 2006 00:20:52 +0000
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flashplugin not working

On Thursday 02 March 2006 23:30, Warren Liddell wrote:
> Im using Freebsd6.1-pre
>
> I have the flash pluginwrapper isntalled and not sure if i need anything
> else, to get flash working in Mozilla .. as presently it isnt and im slow=
ly
> getting sick of accessing all the sites i need to and not being able to
> view them all due to this.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.

Chandon Handler wrote this quick how-to the other day and posted to the list
=2D--------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone looking for a quick solution, this is what worked for me
on FreeBSD 6.0 Release.

I have /usr/ports extracted from the 6.0 Release ISO CD. =A0I also
have a directory which I named /home/newports extracted from
the latest portsnap download:
=A0 portsnap -p /home/newports fetch
=A0 portsnap -p /home/newports extract
followd by
=A0 portsnap -p /home/newports update

The following steps gave me firefox 1.0.7 with a working flash 6
plugin:

=A0 cd /usr/ports/www/firefox
=A0 make install clean
=A0 cd =A0/usr/ports/www/linux-flashplugin6
=A0 make install clean
=A0 cd /home/newports/www/linuxpluginwrapper
=A0 make install clean
=A0 cp -i=20
/usr/local/share/examples/linuxpluginwrapper/libmap.conf-FreeBSD6=20
/etc/libmap.conf

=46inally edit /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh and add
=A0 /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-flashplugin6 to MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH
=A0 (near the end of the script) (colon-separated path components)

Now run firefox as usual.

That was it for me. =A0Hope this or some variation of this helps
anyone who needs a working setup quickly. =A0Various linux
compatibility packages got installed in the process as
dependencies (list below) but none gave me any trouble.

linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_3 XFree86 libraries, Linux binary
linux-expat-1.95.5_3 Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library
linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_3 The official Macromedia Flash Player for=20
Linux Mozilla and
linux-flashplugin-7.0r61 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux=20
Mozilla and
linux-fontconfig-2.1_3 Linux/i386 binary of Fontconfig
linux-glib2-2.2.1_3 Version 2.X Linux/i386 binary port of GLib
linux_base-8-8.0_6 =A0Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (only for=20
i386)
linuxpluginwrapper-20051113 A wrapper allowing use of linux-plugins with=20
native applica

Unfortunately the build of firefox 1.5 in /home/newports breaks
for me, so I cannot get firefox 1.5 and flash working together in
this manner yet. =A0Also, I installed linux-flashplugin7 the same
way, however, it crashes firefox 1.0.7 immediately at start, so I
removed the plugin path for flash 7 from MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH.

=46irefox 1.0.7 + Flash 6 will keep me running until the new
versions stabilize.

I followed it and got it working with Firefox 1.5, FreeBSD 5.3.

It won't do Flash7 stuff of course.  I tried adapting the above for Flash7 =
and=20
it failed.  I didn't try very hard though.