Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 20:05:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        hal@vailsys.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD questions)
Subject:   Re: amanda+FreeBSD+DLT, anyone?

> Our Wangtek DAT drive finally quit, needs replacement.
>
> Is anyone using amanda with FreeBSD to run a DLT drive?  If so, is it
> working well?

Yes.  Yes.

> I chatted with vendors at Usenix.  It looks as if entry level prices are
> comparable for DLT and 8mm tape.  If I am correct, DLT should be more
> reliable as the tape is not in contact with R/W heads as it is with
> helical scan such as 8mm.  Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Well, the tape doesn't wrap around a rotating head, etc. like
with 8mm.  Quantum has several white papers on the subject that
you might want to review.

>From what I've been able to gather, one of the most common DLT problems is
a failure of the little "leader" tape that extracts the tape from the
cartridge.  Also, environment can be a bummer (living in dusty AZ this
is a concern for me).

Performance *ROCKS*!

--don