Date:      Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:03:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        James Jones <james@freedomnet.co.nz>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MIPS toolchain

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, James Jones wrote:

> Does anyone have a prebuilt MIPS tool chain?

For FreeBSD-related MIPS work, I generally use the FreeBSD "toolchain" target
followed by the "buildenv" environment, but that requires first building a
cross-toolchain using TARGET_ARCH and TARGET.  However, the result is a pretty
sane compiler, linker, etc, setup for the MIPS of your choice (we tend to use
mips64eb).

We also use the MIPS-provided SDE toolchain for Linux at the CL, but that
appears to be out of maintenance, and I haven't found its bug density to be
any lower, really, than the even more ageing FreeBSD versions of the tools.
In fact, there are some toolchain bugs I'm running into that manifest only in
the SDE toolchain and not the FreeBSD toolchain.  (Mind you, Philip has
commented that in building Uboot for MIPS, he's found FreeBSD bugs that don't
appear in the SDE toolchain, so mileage varies).

We're greatly looking forward to MIPS support for LLVM, which currently
appears very premature indeed.  Someone from MIPS appears to be contributing
to it, however, and we (cl.cam.ac.uk) hope to provide some implementation
support for that effort in the immediate future.

Robert