Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:00:16 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail POP Lock

Thanks for the very detailed reply. This is a test server so no other user
is using it and thus I was not concerned about "busy session" conflicts.

The strange things is that:
1) the log did not show anything happening, but the mailbox and the
".mailbox.pop" where locked in tight showing a constant connection (per the
time stamp). There was zero bytes in both files.

2) grep did not show popper as active

I killed sendmail and inetd and waited a few minutes. The connection
between the two files apparently stopped because the "pop" file time stamp
stopped changing, but the .mailbox.pop was left behind. The time stamp
showed that the connection was broken though and I removed the .mailbox.pop
and restarted the services.

Now, I'll check your tips and go back to the drawing board.... not sure
what caused this.

At 02:23 PM 2.15.2002 -0500, freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu wrote:
>On 15 Feb 2002 at 12:05, jacks@sage-american.com wrote:
>
>> I've just now set up a mail server using sendmail. Now, I see that
>> there is a constant lock ".sageame.pop" on the main mail box
>> "sageame". Popper installed and sendmail is configured. What did I
>> forget to do to cause this freezeup....?
>
> What do your logs indicate?
>
> We see this when a user starts downloading email and gets
>disconnected. The popper session can take up to 5 minutes before it
>times out and puts the mailboxes back in place. Sometimes it just goes
>to mars and we have to kill it manually and rebuild the mailboxes like
>this:
>
>You have to be the SuperUser.
>
>do a:
>
>ps aux |grep popper
>
>and get the Process ID Number for the popper session attached
>to the client in question.
>
>Kill the popper process, do a:
>
>kill -9 number
>
>This is kinda yucky, as it now leaves the mail in a sorry state.
>
>Go to /var/mail and do a:
>
>ll | grep username
>
>You need to see if any new mail has arrived. If true, you will
>now have two mailboxes with mail that belong to the client.
>
>1) .username.pop
>2) username
>
>You need to put all this back into one mailbox. Try:
>
>cat .username.pop username > new.username
>
>Then delete the two originals, do a:
>
>rm .username.pop username
>
>Then move the 'new' mailbox back, do a:
>
>mv new.username username
>
>Probably have to chown lusername username on it too
>
>Great fun.
>
>gf

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"