Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:08:31 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Console and TERMCAP

  I'm porting an old application from SCO to FreeBSD (recompiling
everything, not using iBCS2 emulation) and I'm experiencing a problem with
sc0 - standard terminal cons25.

  The application has a color ANSI display, but on the FreeBSD console I
can't see colors nor line-drawing characters (they're used to draw windows
and menus borders): the display works, but in b&w and with chars like D, 3,
Z and Y instead of lines. The strange thing is that the background of the
screen is correctly filled with square-dotted (I don't know the english
name for PC IBM 437 code page 0xB2 extended char) chars, so the problem
isn't really that I don't get extended chars.
  When I'm telnetted in from a Windows PC using Netterm, I see the
line-drawing chars but always in b&w. Of course I tried to setup TERM vars
to "ansi" instead of "cons25". Nothing changes. I tried to use the SCO-ANSI
entry of a SCO OpenServer 5 TERMCAP in the FreeBSD's TERMCAP. Nothing
changes. I tried a bunch of other things. Nothing.

  I'm looking for ideas and/or detailed material about the FreeBSD's
console, especially related with similarities/differences with SCO console
(in kernel configuration files, sc0 has the comment "resembling an SCO
console").

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - System Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it