Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:43:08 +0100 (WEST)
From:      Joao Pagaime <jpsp@rccn.net>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 / Slow SCSI Dell PowerEdge 4300 - It works!

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Joao Pagaime wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
>
> > Joao Pagaime wrote...

<.....>

> And the kernel compiles, so I'll try it during the
> weekend (It's a production machine) -  I'll let you know.

Well, I did try the patch you sent. I also did a very simple
naive test, that consisted in launching 10 processes concurrently.
These processes simply wrote 100MB to the disk (one disk)

The average time it took (3 runs & 10 procs) was 58.2 seconds without
the patch (with write cache and no tag queueing - I think)

With the patch (with write cache and tag queueing), it took 58.5 secs.
I guess I'll keep the patch - the difference is negligible. I don't
think these tests are representative any way, but I don't have the
machine-time to make any further tests.   In all cases it's one of
the fastests computer on my operation center...

Thanks again,
Joao Pagaime

PS:  I have another Dell PowerEdge 4300 with Solaris for Intel
that presents poor disk performance also - I guess that machine only
works well out of the box with Dell's own drivers...