Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:21:50 -0700
From:      Erin Fortenberry <efortenb@sdccd.cc.ca.us>
To:        "'Keith Spencer'" <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>, fbsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: How can I tell I have been hacked?

> From: Keith Spencer [mailto:bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au]
> Hi all,
> Some mob contacted me and said I had been hacked by a
> group called Pakistan Cyber Warriors.
> Heard of them?

Nope. More then likely they are just a bunch of kids playing around.

> They say my site had a page place on it yesterday
> short term!

Yah.. right, and I have a bride to sell you.

> How can I tell?

This will depend on how good they are. I would look at users home
directorys. Look for directories that you know should not be there like .ssh
and .profile. .ssh should be a directory, but look inside of it, it should
contain only a known_hosts file. Alot of what some of the script kiddies
will do it to put an irc bot on a machine for later use, they hind them in
directories that look like files, such as .profile or .cshrc. Also look st
your daily logs for password changes and or new users. Also look for changed
file in these logs. A good cracker will be able to hid these things from
you, but an amature script kiddie will not always know what to do.

> Any ideas?

Take them at their word, I doubt they would lie about something like that.

> What should I do? Close telnet ftp etc etc.?

You have telnet open? This is bad. Go to http://www.cert.org and get on
their newletter about security issues. While you are at it look at

If you are the administrator of a server like this you need to be on top of
these things or they will come back and bite you in the butt.

> What is port 587 Submission?

I believe that is sendmail, if you telnet to it how does it reply back to
you?

> How can I trace a backdoor on my machine?

Reinstall. Do not use telnet, try openssh. Setup sone kind of intrusion
detection. Learn about firewalls.

> So many questions.
> Hoping for help

I know how you feel, I have been there many times.