Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:19:42 -0800
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@dogcow.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of ptys in 4.2

I'm out of ptys on my 4.2 workstation:

cyberdog ~
34% rxvt
rxvt: can't open pseudo-tty
rxvt: aborting

cyberdog ~
35% who am i
sharding         ttyr9   Mar  9 13:16

The system is:

FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Thu Jan 18 15:54:26 PST 2001

I've greatly increased the number of tty devices in /dev:

cyberdog ~
36% ls /dev/tty* | wc -l
     281

cyberdog ~
37% grep -c network /etc/ttys
257

Is there some limit to the dynamic pty allocation, or is something else
going wrong here? This is a very annoying problem and all of the 4.x
documentation I've been able to find seem to claim that you're not supposed
to have to worry about this in 4.x other than having enough device files.

sean

--
Sean Harding sharding@dogcow.org  | "Sometimes the truth is like a
http://www.dogcow.org/sean/       |  second chance"