Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:34:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wangtek 51000HT tape drive

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > > Yes. If it works, send it to me and I'll check it in in a variety of
> > > places.
> > >

> > > The deal here is that QIC drives are much in the minority, so I changed
> > > the driver to try and force variable mode as the default. Unfortunately a
> > > number of drives accept the mode select to do this when they really
> > > *can't* do variable mode. Apparently the 51000HT is another one.
> >
> > I must have missed the first part of this thread, or forgot that I
> > actually had a Wangtek 51000 (apparently not HT).
> >
> > sa0: <WANGTEK 51000  SCSI M75E> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS
> > device
> >
> > It has been working fine for me with 32k block sizes.  Need me to test
> > anything?  I'm running 3.1-STABLE.
> >

> Um- what does mt -f status say right after you boot?

Since you asked, I decided to document every move I made.  Contrary to
Murphy's Law, I didn't notice the problems until I started looking for
them. :-)

I didn't mean I had set the block sizes on tape to 32k with something
like 'mt blocksize 32768'... I had actually managed to set it to
'variable' blocksize and had 'team' working with 32k blocks.  Sorry
about that irrelevant remark. :-)

Running 3.1-19990228-STABLE

Fresh cold boot.. no tape.

root@cheetah [/root] # mt status
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
---------available modes---------
0:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
1:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
2:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
3:        QIC-320         512 bytes      16000    unsupported
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.

"3M Magnus 1.2" tape inserted.  Same 'mt status' output.

root@cheetah [/root] # tar cv .
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): MODE SELECT(06). CDB: 15 0 0 0 c 0
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST csi:0,8,0,0
(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): unable to set fixed blocksize to 512
tar: can't open /dev/rsa0 : Invalid argument

Hmmm... remove tape, reinsert it.

root@cheetah [/root] # mt status
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  ECMA TC17       512 bytes      45434    unsupported
---------available modes---------
0:        ECMA TC17       512 bytes      45434    unsupported
1:        ECMA TC17       512 bytes      45434    unsupported
2:        ECMA TC17       512 bytes      45434    unsupported
3:        ECMA TC17       512 bytes      45434    unsupported
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0

Hmmm again.

root@cheetah [/root] # mt offline
root@cheetah [/root] # mt status
Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x00            variable       0        unsupported
---------available modes---------
0:        0x00            variable       0        unsupported
1:        0x00            variable       0        unsupported
2:        0x00            variable       0        unsupported
3:        0x00            variable       0        unsupported
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.

root@cheetah [/root] # mt blocksize 512
root@cheetah [/root] # tar czv .

At this point, it tars up 13MB of data, but right at the end I get:

(sa0:ncr0:0:5:0): Invalid request.  Fixed block device requests must
be a multiple of 1 bytes
tar (child): can't write to /dev/rsa0 : Invalid argument

root@cheetah [/root] # mt blocksize 0
root@cheetah [/root] # tar czv .
[tars up about 13MB of data and spits it to tape... no errors]
root@cheetah [/root] # tar tzv
[lists every file tarred in previous command... no errors]

Weird.  Did that help any? :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )                                       */