Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:08:50 -0700
From:      Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Head build unsafe for /etc today

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 18:49, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> w=
rote:
>=20
>> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 06:25:24PM -0700, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>>=20
>> On Nov 2, 2017, at 15:44, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net> wrote:
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Unfortunately I only test with META_MODE these days which implies -DNO_CL=
EAN.
>=20
> You're making changes to the build infrastructure and you're
> not properly testing it before committing?  This is beyond
> pointyhat material.=20

I ran 2 universes, dozens of buildworlds and buildkernels, dozens of install=
world and installkernel, several xdev and native-xtools, several full DIRDEP=
S_BUILD builds and bootstraps, ran subdir builds, ran subdir cleans, tested s=
everal targets together, ran various special case tests for submakes, played=
 around with a ton of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX cases, handled and tested symlinked o=
bjdirs special, ran it through my work repro a few times, did special testin=
g in rescue/, and had a volunteer test release.  In the process  I found a b=
make bug, GPL_DTC build bug and several others I don=E2=80=99t recall from t=
he bus.

What I missed was the =E2=80=9Cclean=E2=80=9D buildworld because I forgot it=
 even exists. I=E2=80=99ve wanted to remove it for a year. I also forgot to t=
est buildenv.

By the way the bug ran into here was 3-4 years old and I avoided the exact c=
ase in some new code but missed that the problem was already existing subtly=
 in bsd.obj.mk.

Having said all of that, I certainly don=E2=80=99t do so much testing normal=
ly but these changes warranted the time I put in.