Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:28:44 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>, Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

Danny Dulai:
 |Randall, your moused patches will send the non mouse related data to the
 |/var/run/MouseRemote socket,

Right.

 |so I think that maybe I'll tackle this by writing remoted to read the
 |socket instead of having remoted feeding moused. That sound good?

Yes, that's what I was originally suggesting.  I probably wasn't very clear
about it.  moused syphons off the non-mouse commands onto the MouseRemote
socket, and then remoted can easily pick those up and do any translation it
wants to execute programs or pass them through to connected clients.

 |Also, I've noticed something weird.. just randomly, since I've been
 |running moused on the remote, my mouse cursor will jump around. Might I
 |be getting RF interference? I live right off of Broadway in downtown
 |NYC.. there is all kinds of things going on outside, and sometimes my
 |speakers will just start picking up people's conversations on what seems
 |to be radio tranmissions.

That could be it.  I had the same problem with the first X10 MouseRemote I
had, and I sent it back in under warrenty.  It would occasionally (as much
as several times per minute sometimes) send in spurious motion or button
events without my even touching the MouseRemote.  It wasn't a problem with
the remote itself because it'd still do it if I took the batteries out.  So
the receiver had some noise suceptibility or electrical problem.

The new one (just got it in 3 days ago) displays the problem much less, but
every so often it'll still send in a spurious motion or button event.
Getting a stray button down event with no button up has the annoying side
effect that, if you're over an app like xterm, it grabs the cursor
interrupting what you're doing, and xterm consumes all CPU until you reach
over and click the mouse button yourself to get it to release the grab
(giving it a mouse button up event to play with).

 |Any ideas to stop my pointer from being moved around randomly?  It doesnt
 |seem to change the channel when the TV is on, or play with the volume
 |or anything.. its just the mouse. Maybe something wrong with moused?

Swapping under warrenty might help (just the cost of shipping to X10 and $4
for return shipping) but having seen this on two different remotes, I think
it's probably just a noise suceptibility design issue with the remote.

I have noticed that the spurious events seem to only be mouse button or
motion events.  So I plan to look for a cheap serial port ISA board to plug
in and just give MouseRemote its own serial port.  I know that works fine
as I ran that way originally.  Then I won't care about the mouse event
noise.

Randall