Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 11:19:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Damon Anton Permezel <dap@damon.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, donegan@quick.net
Subject:   Re: SCSI Performance

On 07-Jan-98 Damon Anton Permezel wrote:
> "Simon Shapiro sez: "
>>
>> On 06-Jan-98 Steven P. Donegan wrote:
>> > Well Santa was nice to me so I'm now in the market for a nice fast
>> > SCSI
>> > solution. What is the fastest SCSI controller for the PCI bus (Tyan
>> > Tomcat IIID with 2(ea) 200Mhz Pentiums)? Since I have no SCSI devices
>> > yet
>> > any fast/wide/etc solution would be fine. Also any suggestions on fast
>> > drives matching your favorite fast controller would be appreciated. If
>> > there is a web site somewhere with benchmark data a pointer would be
>> > appreciated. This is all for use with 3.0 current.
>> >
>> > TIA
>
> (having just bought 2 9-gig SCSI drives, I have but two words...)
>
> Fibre channel!

This was my recommendation to nCUBE and Intel for their respective MPP
several years ago.  The difference in perfromance in unbelivable.

> Who's working on device drivers for FC cards?

I am.

> FC-AL Seagate drives were about the same price as SCSI-3 last I looked.

Huh?  And the optical-copper converter (whatever the name is :-) ?
And the controller?

> If anyone needs a FC dd written, I hereby volunteer!

And what is an FC dd ?  Ah, FCAL Device Driver.  For which controller?

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313