Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:45:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      yossman <yossman@yoss.canweb.net>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   ACK! 'X Windows'?!

on http://www.freebsd.org/applications.html,

'X Windows workstation. From an inexpensive X terminal to an advanced X
display, FreeBSD works quite well.'

PLEASE PLEASE don't call it 'X Windows'.  at the VERY least change that to
'X Windowing System workstation'.  i sympathize with the X consortium, who
has tried to make it very clear they do not want it to be called 'X
Windows'.  the only two real names for the system is either just 'X' or
'The X Windowing System'.

it may seem like an anal request but many of us out here in unixland<tm>
would prefer if main sources of information like your homepages would do
things the 'correct' way.  it's bad having newbies running around calling
it 'X Windows'.

yossman

Yossarian Holmberg (yossman)             yossman@canweb.net
System Administrator, National Online    http://www.canweb.net/~yossman/
my statements are my own, not my employer's -- i do not speak for them.

'... and if i die, before i learn to speak .. can money pay for all the
days i've lived awake but half asleep?' -- Primitive Radio Gods,
"Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth With Money In My Hand"