Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 97 18:31:32 -0500
From:      "Richard Seaman, Jr." <lists@tar.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997 15:54:54 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert wrote:

>In any case, it is a mistake to always grab the most recent
>version of everything, and then try and jam it into a box with
>"stable" written on the outside.  New versions of things (bind,
>in this case) are frequently *not* stable, and should not be
>represented as such.

I don't disagree with this idea.  In the case of bind 4.9.6
(or bind 8.1.1) there are security fixes that some users might
want, whereas others, like you, might prefer an older version,
for reasons you mention.

Seems to me that this is an argument for keeping substantial
packages out of the OS tree and in the ports tree instead, if
possible.  Then the user can be more selective in upgrading.
Its also a reason for keeping more than one version of some
applications in the "ports" tree.