Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:15:53 -0500
From:      Glen Barber <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Fraser <petros.fraser@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create socket files

Hi Peter

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Peter Fraser <petros.fraser@gmail.com> wro=
te:
> Hi All
> I wonder if anyone could help me with this problem. I followed the
> instructions in the handbook to create some jails. It makes part of
> the filesystem readonly which is good.

This sounds like you used the "service jail" approach [1]. Correct me
if I am wrong.

> Problem is though that I tried
> installing syslog-ng in one of the jails and when I tried to start it,
> I got this error
>
>> Error binding socket; addr=3D'AF_UNIX(/var/run/log)', error=3D'Permissio=
>> denied (13)'
>> Error initializing source driver; source=3D'src', id=3D'src#0'
>> Error initializing message pipeline;
>> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/syslog-ng: WARNING: failed to start syslog_ng
>
> I think it's trying to create the socket files =A0/var/run/log and
> /var/run/logpriv but can't. Is there anyway for me to create them
> manually?

It has been some time since I used that method to create jails; the
areas that have burned me in particular were symlinking
/usr/local/bin/perl to /usr/bin/perl and similarly for the
security/ca_root_nss port.

Re-reading the doc, /var should be made read/write as it is part of
the jail "skeleton" filesystem, from which you create the "moving
parts" of your jail, so to speak.  Did you create /var read-only?

Regards,

[1] - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-appli=
cation.html

--=20