Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:28:39 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Atheros card with external antenna connector?

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Sam Leffler wrote:
 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006, Sam Leffler wrote:
 > >  > Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
 > >  > > On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:42:00AM +1100, Ian Smith wrote:
 > >  > >> Thankyou Brix!  I was unaware of that whole resource, lots to explore.
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Welcome. Be ware that the resource deals with the Linux madwifi
 > >  > > (atheros) driver, but the compatability section should give you some
 > >  > > good hints on which cards are supported by the FreeBSD ath(4) driver.
 > >
 > > Brix: glad to be free of my misconception that 'Orinoco Gold' used only
 > > Hermes (wi), lacking hostap mode, like my old 11b Cabletron Roamabout.
 > > Its MC external connector is the same, so I've an eBay target already.
 > >
 > >  > The hal is the same and that's basically the only thing that matters wrt
 > >  > chip support.
 > >
 > > Sam: just to be sure .. it'd still need to have an AR5210, AR5211, or
 > > AR5212 chipset to be used with ath(4), not the others madwifi supports?
 >
 > The hal supports every Atheros cardbus/pci chip set currently in retail
 > channels except for the AR5005VL parts.  This means you can pretty much
 > buy anything in a cardbus/pci form factor.

Thanks, but I'm still a little confused, sorry.  I supppose ath(4) and
ath_hal(4) are a bit out of date then, as they both specify just those 3
chipsets - at least at 5.5-S Aug 1st and 6.1-R.

The link in both to http://customerproducts.atheros.com/customerproducts
now redirects to somewhere not quite so useful (http://atheros.com/RD/)
and fwiw, the Orinoco 8470WD, which looks like a card I can use with an
external connector is b/g, not a/b/g as per the mans - but then I guess
you can't do 802.11a and b/g through a single antenna connection anyway.

So thanks again .. I'll dig a little deeper from my newbie start point.

Cheers, Ian