Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:14:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Seguin <dseg@texar.com>
To:        Douglas Myers <doug@documgmt.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1.) 20G IDE tape 2.) silo overflow

Glad you asked about the silo overflow. I get this each and every time I
spark up (user) ppp. I use an internal modem (no docs anywhere, except
for one line in the FAQ). This happens to me in 2.2.8. After a while (20
minutes, either idle or busy) I have to kill ppp and reconnect. Everyting
else checks out, including the ISP (as I use other OS' with this ISP, no
probs). I was hoping this would go away with an upgrade (grumble,
grumble). The only thing that I suspect (in my case) is incorrect
parametres in the kernel config file, i.e. don't use the vector keyword,
etc. But I can't find any docs on how to configure these. The simple one
example isn't sufficient to generalize from ( in the handbook).

Hope you find out, and I hope someone can point me to some docs that I've
missed.

Thanks!

Dan Seguin

Azure Automata

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Douglas Myers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of questions. I run Freebsd on several systems (nothing
> short of excellent).  The ones in question are running 3.0.  I have

<snip>

> My second question regards an error message from the kernel.  The message
> is sio0: silo overflow which seems to indicate received characters overflow
> on the 16650.  This is coming from the serial port on the motherboard of
> Dell 350Mhz system.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I

<snip>