Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 13:12:39 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
Cc:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP! unbootable due to rc.conf

Doug Barton wrote:

>         For future reference, all questions belong on -questions. Cross posting
> is frowned on.
>
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > John Daniels wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I forgot to add a quote mark in rc.conf.  Now my system will not boot fully.
> > >   It takes me to a shell prompt from which I can move around the system
> > > ("cd") and execute simple commands like "ls" but I can't bring up an editor
> > > (I tried vi and ee) and when I tried to use mv to rename rc.conf (thinking
> > > that the system would boot with only the settings in /etc/defaults/rc.conf),
> > > the system responded that the drive was read-only.
> > >
> > > What can I do to get my system booting properly again?
> >
> > You have to mount /. The last time I did this was 3 or 4 weeks ago and
> > a "mount -a" in single user mode worked. Then you correct your rc.conf
> > error. I rebooted at this point.
>
>         Make sure to type 'fsck -p' before you do the 'mount -a'. You should
> never try to mount a file system if it's not clean. Also, if you are in
> single user mode and want to go directly to multi-user mode, just type
> 'exit'. Conversely, if you are in multi-user mode and want to drop into
> single user mode without rebooting, all you need to do is type
> 'shutdown'.

I've never edited my rc.conf, rebooted, and had the file system come
up dirty. But it is a good idea. I've had real problems with 4.0 and
UDMA drives if they come up dirty.

Do all of the drivers get loaded if you have screwed up your rc.conf
and the boot stops in single user mode, edit it, and then exit.

If you are just trying to edit something in your rc.conf, can your
shutdown to single user and exit to bring it into use. Rebooting seems
like overkill but cleaner.

Kent

> HTH,
>
> Doug
> --
>         "Live free or die"
>                 - State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html